Friday, December 16, 2016

A Few Quotes on Fruit and Fullness


“I think there must be something wrong with me, Linus.  Christmas is coming, but I’m not happy.  I don’t feel the way I’m supposed to feel.” ― Charlie Brown, A Charlie Brown Christmas 

Fruit by the Spirit.  The Christian should resemble a fruit-tree, not a Christmas tree!  For the gaudy decorations of a Christmas tree are only *tied* on, whereas fruit *grows* on a fruit-tree.  In other words, Christian holiness is not an artificial human accretion, but a natural process of fruit-bearing by the power of the Holy Spirit. –- John R.W. Stott

We who preach the gospel must not think of ourselves as public relations agents sent to establish good will between Christ and the world.  We must not imagine ourselves commissioned to make Christ acceptable to big business, the press, the world of sports or modern education.  We are not diplomats but prophets, and our message is not a compromise but an ultimatum.  -- A.W. Tower

Fruit and fullness.  For many years now I have recited to myself every day the ninefold fruit of the Spirit in Galatians 5:22-23, and have prayed for the fullness of the Spirit.  For the chief mark of the fullness of the Spirit is the fruit of the Spirit: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, meekness, and self-control.  As I meditate every day on these graces, on this fruit of the Spirit, I have noticed recently that the first is love and the last is temperance.  Now love is self-giving and temperance is self-control.  So holiness concerns what we do with ourselves.  It is seen in the mastery of self, and the giving of self.  -- John R.W. Stott

The only claim I make is that there is nothing original in these pages.  I present no revolutionary new ideas, no easy new way of salvation.  The road is still narrow (Matt. 7:14).  I do not have the gift of softening the sting of the Christian message, of making it seem light or easily borne or quickly assimilated into prevailing modern ideas.  -- Thomas Oden

A sign of authenticity.  Love is as much a sign of Christian authenticity as is righteousness.  -- John R. W. Stott
 

No comments:

Post a Comment